Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Arriving Panama






Frank’s Panama to Galveston Travel Log 4/13/2010 to 4/29/2010


For photos posted on Flickr:

Best way to view is to click on the link below, and then click on the "Slide Show" button on the upper right hand corner and then also open the "Show Info" window for descriptions. http://www.flickr.com/photos/11729282@N07/sets/72157623862130221/

In Shelter Bay
4/13/2010, Tuesday


After 19 hours from leaving Sacramento, I was finally here in Colon, Panama at Shelter Bay Marina at 2 PM on board Living Water, a 1990 Island Packet 38 Cutter rig, with my good friend Terry. He came with the local driver, Victor (he seemed to know everyone in Colon by the way he stopped to talk to everyone we passed), and picked me up at the airport in Panama City on the Pacific side and drove across the isthmus to the Atlantic side. We passed the Gatun Locks crossing the Canal and saw a couple of ships passing in front of us as we drove through the lock. That was pretty cool.

Terry and I went and had a late lunch and he got me an air-conditioned room at the club house so I can get a good night’s sleep before facing the final preparation for our trip up north. The weather was a balmy 90 degrees with 80% humidity and windy. The trade wind is kicking in which is good for our anticipated trip. I took a 2 hour nap after lunch and went to the boat and spent the next two hours running through and familiarizing myself with most of the systems on board. We did a little preliminary planning on the charts to get a sense of what lies ahead with weather, wind and current. Our plan is to give notice to the Port Captain on Thursday and get our "sappe" (sp?) (Sailing permit) so we can leave on Friday or Saturday. Once the sappe is issued, we have to leave within 48 hours.

Tomorrow, we have a long list of things to do, including last minute cleaning, stowing away gear, and maintenance. We'll do laundry and provision on Thursday and should be good to go on Friday. There is lots of commercial traffic coming and going through Colon because of the Canal. Our plan is to sail due east for a hundred miles and avoid most of the traffic before making our way north. Hopefully, the trade from the land effect will shift in our favor…..more later.

1 comment:

  1. Frank

    I said the prayer for you!

    "The Lord is my pilot, I shall not go adrift; He lighteth my passage across dark channels; He steereth me through the deep waters, He keepeth my log. He guideth me by the evening star for my safety's sake. Yea, though I sail mid the thunders and tempest of life, I shall fear no peril for Thou art with me. The vastness of thy sea upholds me. Surely fair winds and safe harbors shall be found all the days of my life; And I shall moor, fast, and secure, forever Amen.



    Gary

    ReplyDelete