Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 9: Steering Her Downwind





4/25/2010, Sunday, 1700 Zulu, Lat. 23 19.6 N, Long. 089 11.7 W, Day 9

“Galveston, oh Galveston, I will hear your sea wind blowin’, I still see her dark eyes glowin’, she was 21 when I left Galveston……..” Oh, Irene, don’t get too excited, it is only the lyrics to a song. I have never been to Galveston in my entire life. I’ll be home soon. Just check the GPS, Galveston is only 458 nm away due Northwest. Our ETA is early Thursday morning at dawn on 4/28. Please look into booking my flight home on Friday.

The wind is completely different than 24 hours ago. It was over 20 knots with 8 foot seas. Now it’s 6 knots with calm lumpy seas. We have been successfully flying the A-sail (asymmetric spinnaker) since 0930 this morning. With this sail we can sail deeper and be closer to our mark.

Not much happening the last 24 hours, except catching up our rest and rode out the rough sea. Terry was a bit fatigued from all the work and planning and worries about this trip. It finally got to him after the water filter repair. He had a slight headache last night after dinner, so I sent him to bed and took over his watch. He feels a lot better now with the extra rest.

Auto was driving pretty much yesterday due to its ability to hold the course in rough weather. After lunch yesterday, Terry asked me to take over steering and get a feel for Living Water going down wind in such rough condition. I gave him a dirty look and gingerly reminded him that I had hand steered my entire way to Hawaii some 16 years ago. He, being a tactful person, said if something happened to Auto, he just wanted to make sure I can drive. So the challenge was on. I told him to let me take my nap and I would hand steer for an hour. At 1500, I got up, put on my gloves and passed him at the Nav Station (where he always sat) and started my way up the companion way without saying anything to him. “The course to steer is three zero zero.” He said. I continued my way up, got behind the wheel, put Auto on standby and started to hand steer a 300 heading.

So something you landlubbers should know, a good helmsman can steer a boat to its proper course plus or minus 5 degrees on a good calm day. But in rough seas and especially down wind, the boat tends to wander and round up quite easily due to waves bearing down on its quarters. One has to anticipate such motion and aggressively commit to countering it by steering the helm down when the waves hit, but almost immediately you have to turn the wheel back or disaster will happen. It takes lots of concentration and stamina and balance. (Enough said about myself)

15 minutes into my steering, the loudspeaker on the intercom next to the helm crackled, it was Terry, “Hey Frank, good driving, the boat has kept its course.” I keyed the mike down and said, “It was still Auto driving, I haven’t started yet.” “Oh.” he said,” Are you sure?” I said, “What do you think?” There was a long pause and he finally hung up. I guess I have passed muster on driving Living Water.

Our 24 hours noon-to-noon run was 139 nm. Thank you, Bob and Kathy, Bill for the hilarious e-mails. We quite enjoyed them and will look forward to seeing the US Coast Guard, the Texas Fish and Game, the Mental Health (in white coats) people waiting for us at the dock in Galveston. Dinner last night was leftover Curried Beef Stew I made back in Colon. Didn’t feel like cooking with a rocking boat. Besides, Terry wasn’t feeling good. Will do better tonight…..later.

8 comments:

  1. Frank & Terry,
    I can't express to you enough how much Kathy and I look forward to your emails and web page
    updates.
    Sounds you are having one adventure after another.
    I am sorry to inform you that Kathy (being the upstanding hospital executive she is and being used to mandatory reporting laws) felt it was her responsibility to report the "suspicious" Puff incident not only to the Galveston Coast Guard but also the Texas department of Fish and Game.
    Between you and me, you have to worry about the coast guard, they were concerned. As a suggestion, during you next daylight watch maybe you could lean over and change the name of the boat to Vita Agua, or something else that could confuse them. You could use some left over spaghetti sauce or something for ink. Just an idea!! The board of inquiry is set for the Friday after you arrive.
    You won't have to worry too much about the state of Texas. They seemed to think that killing a bird was no big deal. As a matter of fact they originally thought Kathy was reporting that you killed your boat mate. They were furious and said that they had the death penalty for Asian men(actually minorities in general) and they would send a helicopter out to get you. Then, when she explained that no, that wasn't it, they thought Terry killed you. To this they said Oh well, accidents do happen.
    We spent today (Saturday) on the bay sailing Gusto. The sail was great, but when we got in we
    noticed that the bilge was full of water. It seems the exhaust cooling lift muffler sprung a leak and it filled the bilge to over the floorboards. No big deal for us, but I could not stop thinking of what a problems that could be for you in the Gulf of Mexico. So!!!!! You are in our thoughts constantly.
    enjoy your trip and be safe.
    Bob & Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frank and Terry,
    What an adventure. Some time future, I would LOVE to do what you are doing. Thanks for the emails and blog. It's almost like being there without the hard work ... and I KNOW that it is hard work. A real test of stamina. Here I sit in Detroit at one of my favorite brewpubs. It's rainy and cold. I miss my Jean. But there is something seductive about the sea. You know what I mean. I know that you know. I've only been beyond sight of land in the pacific - the big gray pond. And then, only on Navy ships. Don't tell anyone, but I envy you. I pray for you. Water is big in God's plan - the whole planet started that way! To rise and fall upon it, making headway against wind and current and tide - it's an act of dominion designed by the Maker. Sail on.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank, thanks for the comic relief this lovely Sunday morning. I was laughing out loud at your
    latest installment. You have a great sense of humor and a very witty way of telling a story. I
    had to call Irene after I read it and we started laughing all over again. It sounds like you finally got the kind of wind that makes you sit up and concentrate, something that you've been waiting for. I hope that the next leg is equally as rewarding. Thanks again for keeping us apprised of your daily progression. All best, Geraldine

    ReplyDelete
  4. So ------ --- a paltry nine days at sea and Frank feels that he needs loving health care of
    some sort by his favorite nurse .....he must have caught the Bird Flu ! Irene, I don't think
    that a flight on Friday is indicated. Most likely the Authorities in Galveston will send him to a quarantine ward somewhere in Texas to see what kind of spots develop -- could take weeks to administer the proper antidote. Watch out Terry, the little, put pesky, spots usually develop several days after contact with a terrified flying object. Don't eat anything he touches. ( I first wrote that as "Don't let him touch anything that you eat" -- but that opened the way for several weird possibilities - even for people lost at sea ). Anyway, if you need medical advice - you can call me. I'll look in my collection of medical books that I saved from my last employment. I store them in a long bag somewhere around here. Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a quick question ? How come Terry is referring to today as Sunday the 25th and as Day 8 in his Blog and Franks e-mails refer to today as the 25th also and as Day 9. Are both of you actually traveling on the same boat? Is the boat longer than we thought and the bow that much closer to Texas than the stern ? Are one or even both of you in a mad sea driven state of fog caused by ingestion of too little food and too much SMS ? Maybe that medical flight is indicated.............. Bill
    _________________________________________________________________

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi you two,
    I was so jealous when I found out about your nautical novella, replete with barracuda, papparazzi, and Julia Child's cooking at sea stories (and poor dear Puff), that I asked Irene to please send me the logs! What an
    interesting story. It sounds like you both work so well together. I had the pleasure of spending an evening with Irene and Geraldine last night and loved it. Today I was in a completely different environment than the both
    of you. I was enjoying the beauty of nature from the top of a mountain, and taking advantage of the last official weekend of skiing at Sugar Bowl Ski resort. Gorgeous day, with a nice red face to show for it! God's speed -
    Sincerely, Mary. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Puffed wheat
    Puffed rice
    Puffed sleeves
    Puff pastry
    Puff paint
    Power puff
    Puff Adder
    ------------------------
    Puff the magic birdie
    Lived by the sea
    And perished in a sailing boat
    Bound for Galilee (artistic license here)

    Puff the magic birdie
    Lived his life well
    Before he took a tumble
    After resting for a spell

    Puff the magic birdie
    Now lives in the sea
    We miss him lots and wish him well
    As he floats among the swells.

    Happy Sailing! See you soon,
    Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Frank,
    Just a quick note to let you know how much Dan and I have been enjoying reading your progress.
    It really sounds like a wonderful experience.
    Please get home safely....we all miss you.
    Love,
    Nanci

    ReplyDelete