Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 3: Sun Sights





4/19/2010, Monday, 1700 Zulu Lat. 13 07.9 N, Long. 080 31.6 W, Day 3

After 21 hours of motoring, at midnight we finally were able to sail the boat in true sailor’s fashion, i.e. without running the engine or auto pilot. The wind had steadily increased to 12 knots coming at about 45 degree off our starboard bow. We pulled out the Genoa, tightened up both the outhaul and halyard at the main, lowered “Montie” in the water and sailed at close to 7 knots SOG (Speed over ground). It matches closely to our VMG (velocity made good). That means we were going directly to our way point without wasting sailing distance. So you know: “Sailing”, as my good friend/navigation teacher, Dick Winter said to me once, “is like herding a flock of geese. They like to go in all different directions and usually not the way you want”. But this time all the geese were marching in the same order.

If you are wondering who Montie is, he is our third crew member we only use to steer the boat. He requires no food, water nor SMS, works perfectly if there is wind and not too big a sea. It is a mechanical wind vane invented by a couple of engineers/sailors back in the 70’s out of Sausalito. It is called Monitor Wind Vane - a real buddy to cruisers.

We were happy to finally get rid of all engine noise and sleeping below was so peaceful that you can’t really tell the boat was moving. The sea so far has been fairly flat with very little swells. We both are settling into our routines and the body is slowly adjusting to the 3 hours rotation watch system. My watch from 3 AM to 6 AM enables me to witness the beautiful night sky with millions of stars around. Something one won’t be able to see if living in the city. I will get out the star finder and see if I can find some of more famous stars.

Breakfast was corn beef hash with scrambled eggs. Terry didn’t fish as we only fish when we need food. So far this trip we have plenty of protein. Our 24 hours noon-to-noon run was 120.3 nm. A great improvement from yesterday’s run.

Terry told me I have a few messages from my Sailmail and he had to create a file just for my blog. He asked why I am getting mail and he isn’t. I told him I pay my friends to write me. So without making him feel left out, please visit his blog at www.svlivingwater.com , read his logbook and leave him some comments. That will keep him busy for all his watch time.

After I came off watch at noon, we polished up the ‘Davis Mark IV’ sextant and played around to see if we could get a noon sight. Terry had never used one before and it took us a little while to get it right. By the time we got an accurate reading we had already missed the transit and will try again tomorrow. Thank god we have three GPS’s on board. Wind is still light in the afternoon but we are still sailing. More fish for dinner tonight at Terry’s request.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Frank and Terry,
    It is great to follow your adventure thru your emails. I look forward to them.
    Hope all goes well.
    What is your preference, straight to Galveston or the Caymans? I would want to take in the
    Caymans.
    Take care,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Frank,
    Just a quick note to let you know Rich and I are enjoying your emails! I feel like I'm experiencing the trip myself!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete