Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 6: Puff Visit







4/22/2010, Thursday, 1700 Zulu, Lat. 18 43.7 N, Long. 083 01.2 W, Day 6

Yesterday the wind completely shut down at 1100 and we motored for 8 hours using up precious fuel. The sea was so calm; it was like gliding on a piece of glass. Terry, in desperation, was suggesting we should offer my bottle of SMS to please the Wind God. He was serious. It took me a while to convince him that the Wind God is a member of AA and had quit drinking many years ago. Whew!

At lunch, we had an unexpected visitor, a yellow warbler of some sort. Dead tired sitting on the port lifeline and wouldn’t move. Took him or her (not familiar with avian gender) a couple of hours to rest and then it started to make himself at home on our head, shoulder, arms. Terry fed him some water and I gave him some of my lunch corn chips. I am sure he is from Mexico. After we fed him, he started to fly around and landed in the salon and at one time at the computer keyboard. Terry was sure he was sending out e-mails to all his friends to fly over to Living Water for fresh water and corn chips. He spent the night sitting on our wire fruit basket in the galley and nestled his head on his shoulder with all his feathers puffed up and slept until 5:30 this morning. I took a good picture of him and he left without saying goodbye. Terry had named him “Puff” for his puffing feathers and was disappointed to find he was gone without saying adios….well, so much for the bird story.

Dinner last night was Linguine with Calamari and Clams with Garlic, Butter and Wine sauce. One of the first Italian recipes I learned and developed many years ago.

The wind came up right after dinner at 1900 and we took out the “genie” and were doing over 6 knots. The wind was coming almost on our starboard beam and we were going down the track onto Yucatan Channel which is only about 280 nm away. The wind has come as predicted in the weather forecast and it stayed up to 12 knots. We sailed throughout the night and went to bed happy as clams.

Wind continuous at 10 knots this morning and at 0900 Terry put up the whisker pole and we are now going wing-on-wing, i.e. putting the Genoa on the opposite direction from the main sail. That way we can sail further down wind and make our track. It picked up another ½ kn. of boat speed with that set up. Life is good for a sailor when there is wind.

Thank you Mike, Mary and Andrew for the Galveston lyrics. Terry is learning to play guitar but the one on the boat was so warped sitting in the tropics that he ended up throwing it away. He has another one in storage in San Diego. The chord changes are for him. I will have Terry singing Galveston with me before we get there. He is very shy about his singing but, if I can convert him into an SMS drinker, I think it’s worth a “shot” to turn him into a chorister.

Thank you all for all the kind e-mails. The way Sailmail works on the boat is, we have to store up all our e-mails in a transfer file and will send out everything via SSB (Single Side Band) Radio. Terry, of course has to tune up the right frequency and select the station that has the strongest signal and send out our package and receive any incoming message at the same time. It is quite laborious. That’s why I don’t reply to you individually; otherwise, he will be at the radio all day long. I woke at 0300 this morning and he had already saved 8 e-mails from you guys. He was teasing me that the SSB antenna was so hot that it glowed in the dark all night just to receive all my incoming. But, luckily, some of my e-mails were directed to him.

We are anticipating more wind the next few days and things will get more bouncy around the boat. The good news is we can be home soon. Almost pass our ½ way mark.

Our 24 hours noon-to-noon run is 144 nm. A record so far for this trip

More later….

11 comments:

  1. Frank
    Your talk about taking noon sight and longitude are very interesting. I am sure, Terry is very
    enjoy your cooking.
    Keep on enjoying your sailing.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. From: "Andrew Chan"

    Galveston , oh Galveston , I still hear your sea winds blowin'
    I still see her dark eyes glowin'
    She was 21 when I left Galveston
    Galveston , oh Galveston , I still hear your sea waves crashing
    While I watch the cannons flashing
    I clean my gun and dream of Galveston
    I still see her standing by the water
    Standing there lookin' out to sea
    And is she waiting there for me?
    On the beach where we used to run
    Galveston , oh Galveston , I am so afraid of dying
    Before I dry the tears she's crying
    Before I watch your sea birds flying in the sun
    At Galveston , at Galveston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Frank and Terry!
    Cristina and I have been watching anxiously every day for the updates of the Epic Culinary Voyage of Living Water! We cooked seared mahi mahi from Trader Joes last night imagining it was fresh caught Wahoo! We hope you'll be publishing the cruise cook book when you get back! It sounds like you're having a fantastic time. We've been pretty much hunkered down in the marina lately as storm after storm has been rolling through. They're predicting the winds should subside by midnight tonight so we're hoping to get a good night of sleep. Every day is getting us closer to leaving though. And this last weekend we had a nice sail around Alcatraz on a beautiful day between rain storms.
    Tell Terry we've been watching his progress on the website for a couple of years now, since you
    told us about his trip. We've been taking notes and we're planning on leaving in 5 months to
    follow you're track down. We've got some dreams of warm waters and adventures. Thank you for the
    great narrative and the inspiration.
    We'll have an SMS toast tonight to good winds for your trip!
    Carl and Cris
    ________________________________________________

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Uncle Frank,
    We are loving every word of your journal as we follow you and Terry from Panama to home. I opened
    Terry's yesterday and it's wonderful too. Thank you both for sharing all the details of the sea,
    the wind, the sailboat, the menus, etc. Enjoy every minute of your adventure and we will see you
    soon. xoxox, Ed, Lisa, Andrew and Xan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Frank and Terry,
    I'm really enjoying the tales of your adventure. I've been to the Grand Caymans and you must stop for a few days. It's a rather unique spot. Rent some mopeds and take a ride around the island. Do a scuba dive or just
    snorkel. The water is beautiful there, full of lots of color. It will be worth it.
    Frank, your 'girl' is doing well. I've had her all to myself recently and it's been fun. Don't come back too soon and spoil it... just kidding! All I know is you better come back rested because I suspect you won't be getting
    much the first few days you're home! wink.. wink!
    I wish you a safe journey and don't forget to buy more SMS when you stop at the Caymans!
    Lots of love,
    Joann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Frank,
    Irene has been forwarding your messages; Paula and I really enjoy reading them. They also take me
    back to my sailing days in Florida. Also it seems you're as good a cook on the high seas as you are on land - Terry is a lucky guy!
    Our best wishes for calm seas and fair winds.
    Lee & Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good choice. I thought the info about the topless beach would cause the boat to list to the
    West a little and result in a possible landfall to fill the diesel tank and ease the eyeballs.
    Frank - I don't remember such a varied menu from past guest/crew/cook and mess boys on my boat!!
    Just stay away from Misterosa Bank now and you are free into Isla M. -- later Bill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Frank,
    Very much enjoy reading your emails and Terry's blog. Brings back good memories and some not so
    good (sea sickness - yuk!). I look forward to seeing the pictures you've been taking, as I know
    you are probably clicking away. :) I must say, you are eating very well. No Dinty Moore stew
    for you two sailors. There was a large oil rig explosion off the coast of Louisiana on Tuesday.
    It is still burning like mad with billows of black smoke pouring out of it. As you come north,
    and depending upon when they are able to put it out, you may see affects of the burning rig so
    don't be alarmed if you see black in the sky. Sounds like the boat is doing great and you and
    Terry are having a wonderful passage. Have you named the little yellow bird yet?
    Hugs to you.
    Lisa
    PS very much appreciate Irene sending on your emails.
    _________________________________________________________________

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Frank,
    I am enjoying your description of your trip so far. It sounds like you are having a great time. I hope you're also taking pictures. It's been rainy and cold here, so you are not missing good weather here. There was even snow in the mountains! Yesterday Bailey got out of my yard somehow and I got a call from the Long Shot Bar at the corner of Arden & Eastern that he was there. He had
    to walk partway down Arden Way to get there, but then he walked down the alley behind the shopping center. I am so lucky they found him unharmed and returned him to me. He is a very bad boy!

    Here's Galveston in case Mike hasn't gotten it to you yet.

    Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea winds blowin'
    I still see her dark eyes glowin'
    She was 21 when I left Galveston
    Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea waves crashing
    While I watch the cannons flashing
    I clean my gun and dream of Galveston
    I still see her standing by the water
    Standing there lookin' out to sea
    And is she waiting there for me?
    On the beach where we used to run
    Galveston, oh Galveston, I am so afraid of dying
    Before I dry the tears she's crying
    Before I watch your sea birds flying in the sun
    At Galveston, at Galveston

    Have fun,
    Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Frank. Geraldine here. I really look forward to reading your updates each morning as I sit here in my windowless office. Thanks for the lesson in celestial navigation. A friend that used to teach sailing and snorkeling learned how to do that. It's fascinating when you think of all the sailing technology you have now but for hundreds of years people and have been navigating by the sun and moon. Today is Earth Day and there are celebrations planned all over campus. Hopefully it won't rain. Tomorrow night I'm going to your house to watch a movie with Irene and she's also going to help me hem a couple of pairs of pants. Over spring break I bought a bottle of cabernet from Australia that was highly recommended called "Razor's Edge" so I'm going to bring that and
    something for dinner. I don't know what yet.

    My two days in the mountains with the Benders werewonderful. We walked around their neighborhood and Mike and I sang for a couple of hours. He talked about doing some gigs this summer, one with just him at the little coffee house around the corner and also at the Zinfandel Grille in Fair Oaks with his jazz
    friends. And he also thinks it would be fun to record some of my favorite songs so I'm starting
    to think about what those might be. I better get to work now. Wishing you continued good winds
    and calm seas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Frank/Terry...
    I've been quiet, but include me in that "best wishes" category. I certainly wish I was there with you. Sounds like you are enjoying a smooth cruise. Knocking off an average of about 110 miles a day will get you to Galveston in no time. Just keep the electronics and the sextant dry, and save a little SMS for the landing and all will be well.
    Praying for you both (It's a big patch of water)... Dick

    ReplyDelete