Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 2 - Paying Respect to the Ancestors 5/8/2011 Sunday



On May 8th (Sunday), my nephew nicknamed Gill Gill (陳佛彬), the farmer met us at the bus terminal, with his wife brought a dead chicken, a slab of pork, a fish together with a basket full of incense and paper money and a 4 foot long of fire crackers came to the house. My cousin's youngest son, Zi Man (陳子文) also prepared tea and wine with cups and bowls and set them by the door. We all had breakfast at 8 AM and around 9:30AM, according to the Chinese Almanac which was a good time for honoring ancestors, we all walked to the ancestral Surrounded Houses for a small ceremony. This was one of the thing on my agenda for this trip.


Being this was Sunday morning some of the grandkids also came along. Upon arrival the women started lighting incense and candles in front the ceremonial altar. They passed Amy, Chi Keung and I some various sizes of joss stick and we all lined up in front and prayed out loud and bow. The tradition was to talk loud (so they can hear you from heaven afar ) and asked the ancestors for your wishes and blessing. Things like blessing one with a healthy male child, a prosper business, a healthy life.... etc, were the standard. I put down on my own list for a healthy and joyous life for all my kids, love ones, family and friends also on the list was winning the Lotto, out riding Terry on my bike and no leaks on my old roof. I hope it was not too much to ask considered the distance I traveled and being this was my first time.


The women also burnt paper money so the ancestors had plenty to spend. I was sure they experienced inflation in the underworld as well. Before we left, Zi Man lit this 4 ft long fire (cherry bomb-like) crackers. It exploded a few round but stop. He had to run back and re-lit the now very short fuse and ran for his life. The ancestral hall exploded in booming crackling noise and instantly filled with white smoke and red paper debris. I was not that afraid of the white smoke as about a year ago I had similar experience at a different setting. But the noise was deafening. The idea was to scare away the evil spirit and I was quite sure all my ancestors would have been awakening by then, so I quickly recited my wish list again that I had prepared earlier.


We went home and rest from the event and had lunch at noon. The food were consisted of chicken, pork and fish. (Hmm, wondered where they came from). We then took naps as the humidity was getting heavier. At the end of my nap I saw all the boys (grandnephews) hunched over their computer and played games. The computer was sitting on a small low table and their backs must be hurting in that hunch position. They did not have a proper desk. So I asked Tao Tim to take me to a furniture store to buy two computer desks for the kids.


We walked all the way to the end of the village and came to the main street which was full of businesses. Tao Tim found his favorite furniture store and talked to the owner. I saw a handed-made computer desk built onsite by one of his carpenter and told the owner we wanted two. Tao Tim started to hackled with the owner on the price. We settled on the price and I paid the owner and tried to ask for a receipt. Tao Tim and the owner both laughed and said they knew each other for a long time and such thing would not be necessary. I felt such an American among these people and started to learn the local custom. The desks arrived an hour later on a 3 wheels motor scooter and all the kids were quite happy and started to move the two computers from each side of their house. I gave them proper posture instructions on computers and they all eagerly taking their turn at it.


My cousin has 6 grandkids from his three sons. They range from 5 to 17. The oldest 5 kids are all in junior to high school and all taking English. So I took the time to speak English to them (Might be a mistake on my part). I also gave them English names so I can identify them easily and they all seemed to be thrilled. I just pick names from my favorite Kings and Queens and movie stars. I will let you guess what they were, but if you see Elvis and Henry Chan become famous in China, in the future. Don't blame me for it.


At the same night, we were invited to Gill Gill's home for dinner which was located directly behind Tao Tim house. The two houses separated by a huge fish pond. Gill Gill shared the same duplex style house with his younger brother. Both men were married with children and their father (my other cousin) was living with them. The house was 3 story and with better amenities. Kitchen sinks, refrigerator and stereo sound system. There were about 25 people for dinner and the two boys whipped up a 12-course dinner in a flash.There were plenty of home made rice wine and Chinese beer. You can tell the women were happier in that household as both men were working and living at home.


1 comment:

  1. I’m sure the ancestors heard your wishes (especially after the second time) and they’ll grant them all. Don’t forget us all after you win that lotto! And if Elvis Chan ever become famous, I’m sure he’ll give you credit for giving him such an awesome name. ;)
    If you felt like an American when asking for purchase receipts, picture getting weird looks when you try to tip in China, haha.

    ReplyDelete